HOW TO HAVE A POWERFUL MIND WITH ANULOM VILOM PRANAYAM
The Hatha Yoga Pradipika, one of the ancient textual treasures that mankind has ever created, talks about attaining the perfect balance of the senses in the physical body, mind and energies within. It has a concrete belief that the mind is the king of the senses in our physical body but the true elixir of life – breadth, is the king of those senses! And a powerful mind is born of the mastery of breathing, or in yoga, known as Pranayam.
How to practice Anulom Vilom Pranayam
When Pranayam is practised to control your breadth through alternate nostril breathing, it is called Anulom Vilom Pranayam. The Sanskrit term, Anulom(a), means to go “with the grain”, as in, to follow the natural course of breathing, whilst the term Vilom means to go “against the grain” or to go against the natural course of breathing, thereby, making Anulom Vilom Pranayam a breathing exercise in which inhalation happens normally through one nostril while keep the other closed, and vice versa for exhalation.
Control Pranic energies
Also known as Nadi Shodana Pranayama, this breathing exercise has been vital in controlling the biological energies of life or Pranic energies, also known as Doshas – Vata, Pitta, Kapha. The Anulom Vilom Pranayam technique helps balance these doshas through distinct “nadis” or energy channels in our body, such as the “pingala” and “ida” nadis which further stimulate the sushmna nadi, the central energy channel that helps cleanse and detox the brain, and restore its balance, thereby providing calmness and peace of mind.
Healthy Lungs with Anulom Vilom Pranayam
Cleansing of the brain is only the tip of the iceberg as there are multiple benefits of Anulom Vilom Pranayam. From improving the endurance and the functionalities of the lungs to clearing sinus inflammations, to treating asthma and snoring, this alternate nostril breathing exercise has proven effective in enhancing the respiratory performance of an individual, thereby, lowering the heart rate and blood pressure in the process.
Control Diabetes with Anulom Vilom Pranayam
Anulom Vilom Pranayam is also known to help in the management of diabetes and digestive disorders, alongside boosting the overall metabolism of the body. Through this multifunctional technique of controlled breathing, not only do you get physically healthy, but the ability to manage and reduce stress and anxiety also comes as brownie points.
Focused Mind & Decision Making Abilities
Focused concentration and excellent decision making abilities, blended with exceptional control over your emotions are a part of the benefits of Anulom Vilom Pranayam too, thus, augmenting the power of the mind to control the overall quality of your body and life.
This diversified breathing exercise of Anulom Vilom Pranayam is rather uncomplicated in its methodology and can be practised either in the morning or in the evening, but only after a bare minimum of 4 hours post the consumption of food.
How to Redeem Benefits of Anulom Vilom Pranayam
To explore and exploit the immense benefits of Anulom Vilom Pranayam, and to obtain a powerful mind, all that you need to do is to follow the sequence of steps listed below:
- Choose a comfortable and calm spot for you to sit in a relaxed and meditative posture
- Ensure that your spine and neck are straight throughout this breathing exercise
- With the right thumb, press on the right nostril and block the flow of air through it
- Inhale slowly and deeply through the left nostril and then hold your breadth for 4 seconds at the least by blocking both the left nostril as well with your index finger (Please avoid holding your breath if you are pregnant or if you suffer from any cardiac ailments)
- While keeping the left nostril blocked, gradually exhale through the right nostril
- Now inhale through the right nostril and then hold your breadth for 4 seconds at the least as in step-4. Then gradually release and exhale through the left nostril
- Block both the nostrils now and suspend your breathing for 4 seconds at the least, to complete one cycle of the Anulom Vilom Pranayam technique
- Now, keeping the left nostril blocked, inhale through the right nostril and begin the next cycle
- Repeat ten rounds of each cycle, all the while staying focused only on your breathing pattern throughout this exercise
In conclusion, the Anulom Vilom Pranayam helps you garner enhanced focus and patience, and improved physical health by achieving mastery over your breathing. With the mastery of your breathing comes the mastery of your mind, and a powerful mind is one of the most invaluable assets you would ever need to live an enriched life. So, Inhale. Exhale. Breathe.